Monday 17 January 2011

Meat Loaf - Hang Cool Teddy Bear

Now, don't get me wrong but never in my near 2 decades of existence did I think i was ever going to review Meat Loaf. However, slightly hidious but sassy album titles aside, this album wasn't half bad. The first song 'Peace on Earth' with a VERY unecessary 1.05 second EPIC introduction did remind me slightly of early A7X - and this pleased me. What I must say is that any inhibitions you have about Meat Loaf you should put them aside because muscially speaking - i can't pick many faults with this album, there's catchy and i mean catchy guitar riffs sprinkled throughout the album and there is a pretty bonkers solo in 'Elvis in Vegas' which remained with me. I admit to have 1 (maybe two, who knows) favourite - 'Like a Rose' is a pretty rad track on there, a little confused at first as it carries elements of Beasty Boys and a bit of Kid Rock - this song did make air guitar (just abit). On the subject of Kid Rock; 'California Isn't Big Enough' sounds like a drunk kareoke version of his stuff and 'Running Away' does sound like it was in the 'maybe' pile for Rocky Horror Show. But hey! if that's what gets you jamming, then good on you - even if you're up for hearing a Dj scratch the record back and forth and Meat Loaf actually say: "Yo Baby" then maybe have a listen 'Los Angeloser'. I'm not slating this album to the max, but what i did find is that I kept flicking to the next song waiting for something better,brighter and stronger, put it this way, this album would be on the top of the stack after having drunk half a crate of beer with my mates and fancied a dance and a sway but as i no longer drink i face an issue. I'm not ruling it out - in fact i give the guy credit it isn't half bad - but it could be better, judging his previous monolithic sound.

*** out of 5
For fans of: Meat Loaf (clearly, but don't be disappointed), Tenacious D, and early generic Rock

No comments:

Post a Comment